Monday, August 27, 2012

I'm in Bartlett Tennesse!!

Dear Family,
 
Life has been a whirlwind the past week.  Lots of changes.  I am now in Bartlett, Tennesse with not just one companion, but two!  Sister Yuen from Hawaii and Sister Bridgewater from Idaho Falls, Idaho.  They are wonderful girls.  We have a lot of fun together.  Amazingly enough, we have had absolutely no problems sharing our one bedroom, one bathroom apartment, no problems teaching, no personality clashes...nothing.  What a blessing.  Funny though, when we found out a transfer ago that there would be a trio of sisters soon because of the uneven number of sisters, Sister Gladden said to me, no joke, "If there would be one sister who could be sweet and easy to get along with and good in a trio, it would be you Sister Wilde".  She called it.  We both had a feeling I would be in the trio 6 weeks before it happened.  It's going well.  Bartlett is like this unearthly nice place..I keep looking for the ghetto, but they don't have one!  I never thought I would say this, but the other night I said to my companions, "It's weird to be in homes that are clean and nice and don't smell like smoke.  I think I feel more comfortable in houses that smell like smoke." hahaha.  It's kinda true though.  There are 2 wards here, and we are over both of them.  We are on a car share though, so that's kinda rough.  This past week has been walk week.  We would bike, but Sis Bridgewater hasn't riden a bike since she was 12- and even walking it into our apartment, she fell on the curb and scraped up her knee pretty bad. haha.  So we walk.  Which is good cause we found 8 new investigators in 4 days. :)  Another plus-when we first got to the apartment, there were only two beds.  So that night, I took the cushions off the couch and made a bed that looks like a Catholic cross.  Wasn't too bad, but we got a bed that next day and things are good.
 
On my first full day in Bartlett, President called me-and without taking a breath said, "Sister Wilde I have bad news for you your mother's father passed away".  He and Sis Petersen drove 2.5 hours to Bartlett so that he could give me a priesthood blessing.  This was very kind of them.  Apparently, he had found out a few days earlier and meant to tell me on Wednesday(transfer day) but we had gotten stuck in traffic, he was busy, and it completely slipped his mind.  As he visited with me on Thursday, he realized something.  He said he thinks that it was supposed to have happened that way, because if he had told me on Wednesday, he would have had no time to spend with me, let me talk to my dad, or give me a blessing.  He would have left me in a puddle on the floor.  This way, he had more time.  I'm grateful for that.  In the blessing I received, I was blessed with the love of Jesus Christ.  I feel that that was fulfilled in an experience I had on Saturday.
 
  On Saturday, we had the opportunity to attend the baptism of Rachel and Johnny Clemons. I don't know these children very well-I had never taught them, and had just barely met them. But as I looked at these beautiful kids, I felt overwhelmed with love. I loved them. Even thinking of them brings tears to my eyes. Witnessing that baptismal service was the most spiritual experience I have ever had. The speakers loved these children too. As the children were baptized, the sweetest reverance filled the room. I can't describe the feeling that I felt. It was a privilege to be there and feel that pure feeling. After Rachel was confirmed, she opened her eyes and silent tears streamed down her face. She is only 10 years old-but the look on her face showed that she understood the importance of the decision she made that day. She knew. It was a sacred experience.
 
I got to meet a very special man named Brother Lackey.  In our visit with him, two really cool things happened.  One.  He has the EXACT same remote that we used to have when we had our Mitsubishi TV.  The big long black one with the blue power button.  I know you guys will remember it.  I freaked.  I asked him if I could take a picture of it. haha.  I loved it.  Two.  Sis Bridgewater asked Bro Lackey if he liked chocolate cake.  He said yes.  She said, "well when you eat a bite of good chocolate cake, you don't have to eat the whole thing to know it's good, right?  Well that's how it is with reading the book of mormon".  A few days later, we went back to his house.  At the end of the lesson, Bro Lackey said, "Did you girls bring chocolate cake?"  "Umm no..but we have the Book of Mormon."  And then he told us that he made us chocolate cake!!  Who does that??!  It was the sweetest things I have ever seen.  I love Bro Lackey.
 
Gotta go but I love you all.
 
love sister wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment