Monday, March 26, 2012

lots of rain, lots of sun, and lots of pies

Dearest Family,
 
Every dinner appointment I go to, they feed me pies.  I've had cherry pie, apple pie, banana cream pie, and blueberry pie.  I didn't used to like pie very much, but now I do.  For some reason, I am always super hungry too.  I think it's the humidity.
 
We had another excellent week.  The highlight was probably when Sister Gladden and I had the opportunity to go to Glenwood for two days.  Glenwood is part of our area and is one hour away from Hot Springs.  It is very different from Hot Springs.  It is country.  Very small town.  The accent gets thicker and the people get nicer.  I saw some of the most beautiful scenery of my life while I was there.  Long pastures and a house nestled in the woods here and there.  We did lots of driving.  I was humbled by the selfless service of the members in the Glenwood branch.  Sister Burnette, bless her heart, drove us around the entire time!  (By the way, everyone here always says 'bless their heart', and things such as y'all and reckon, and they're always fixin' to do somethin).  I love their southern accent.  The funny thing about Glenwood is how many churches there are!  Left and right.  One of the members told me it has the highest number of churches in one concentrated area in the whole U.S. Did I say that right?  Well, you know what I mean.  You've got baptist, jehovah's witnesses, Nazerene, 7th day Adventist, Pentacostal...tons.  There hasn't been much missionary work done there for a long time.  However, when we were there over the weekend, we got some amazing work done.  There are these 3 ladies in the branch whose husbands have not joined the church yet.  Missionaries have been working with, or trying to work with them for years, but nothing has happened.  We got the chance to meet with all 3 of them this weekend.  We had amazing spirit filled lessons- testifying of the Savior and His atonement, and how being baptized is the only way to be able to access that atonement.  They have made huge progress.  I can feel their wives' prayers and faith that the Spirit will touch their hearts and help them want to change.  We had a great weekend. 
Here is a list of all the animals I saw:  Dogs, cats, birds, horses, cows, lizards, deer, bugs, CAMELS, ZEBRAS.  Seriously.  I took pictures with them, it was sweet.
 
Hey, here's something cool.  Dad told me that the Roundy's grandparents served in Glenwood.  I knew they served in the same mission as me, but I didn't know they had been in Glenwood.  I asked some of the members about them, and they remembered them!  I was really excited.  One of them, Madge Bledsoe, even had some pictures of them which she showed me.  I felt very happy that we got to know the same people.  What good people the Roundys are.
 
We have been praying and fasting for a family to teach, and I think we have got one.  Bishop got a call from a lady who needed help with some things.  She said she didn't know why she chose to call the number that she did.  He said, "It's because the spirit prompted you to".  Haha.  He just tells it like it is.  She came to sacrament meeting yesterday, and we are going to meet with her and her family at the Bishop's on Tuesday night.  I feel that the Lord has prepared her to receive the gospel.  I also feel that as I see these things happen, I realize that the Lord wants me to learn of Him just as much as I want them to learn of Him.  Alma 5:62.  ( I wouldn't be a missionary if I didn't throw in a couple scripture references.:) ) 
 
Life is good.  I hope you are all doing well.  Thank you for your prayers.  I can feel them.  I love you dearly.
 
Love Sister ANNALISA Wilde
 
P.S.  Sometimes I miss my first name.  I try to use it as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment