Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Another Great Week in Bartlett!


Hey family-
 
Another great week in Bartlett.  Full of the normal awesome stuff, some disappointment, miracles, rehearsals, good food, good music, good scriptures, prayer, CHRISTMAS(general conference), and sickness.  Everyone is getting this weird cold thing.  I usually bypass all that stuff but this time I got it.  We are getting closer to the day of the devotional.  It's this Saturday.  I am pretty sure Heavenly Father seriously helped me arrange these songs cause I have had very limited time.  I laughed out of guilt when I got a letter from Dad this week.  He told me he was excited about this devotional we are doing.  He then said, "we know you don't have time to tell us about it".  Oh dear.  I really leave you that far out of the loop?  Well, I'll tell you anything you want to know! :)  Its going to be awesome!  It's coming together, and I really feel that it was by revelation that the missionaries who are here are here at this time.  We are teaching the Restoration in song and testimony form.  I am arranging the two choir pieces -the first is I am a Child of God combined with Families can be Together Forever.  The second is How Firm a Foundation.  I wish you could see this whole thing.. the third piece I arranged is a piano solo I'm doing- Abide with me, Tis Eventide.  The funny part is,  President Eyring's talk on Saturday morning is my inspiration for the entire arrangement!  As I studied the words of the song and the scriptures at the end, I realized that it lists mine and Dad's favorite scripture in the new testament.  It has a special place in my heart because I share the love of this scripture with my Dad, and it also expresses some of my tender feelings for the Savior of the world.  "Did not our heart burn within us as he talked with us by the way, and while he opened unto us the scriptures?"  (That may not be an exact quote, but you can look it up.  Luke 24:32).  Heavenly Father wrote that arrangement, and I get to play it.  I'm excited.
 
I had another sweet experience with music this week.  Did I tell you that a guitar came into my posession?  I'm such a lucky duck!  I've been playing it for a few weeks now.  It belongs to Billy.  Billy Joe Hill. :)  Cutest southern man you'll ever meet.  Once we were at his house and he mentioned that he had a guitar that he used to play but hasn't pulled it out in a while.  I asked if I could play it.  We played and sang a few hymns and then Billy decided that we needed to play in church.  I didn't have the heart to break it to him that guitars aren't really sacrament meeting appropriate instruments..so now every time he sees us he says, "now..y'all girls are singin in church with that guitar in the mornin, aren't ya?"  I keep telling him I'll talk to the bishop.  Well..I talked to the bishop and it's a no go.  We haven't broken it to him.  But anyway, the other night, we brought the guitar to share an easter message and some easter hymns.  Billy's 5yr  old grandson Peyton (who, just moments earlier was flying around the room and fighting with his brother) sat perfectly still for the songs, and then asked if we would sing more.  We sang 'Teach me to walk in the Light'. Before we sang, I explained to Billy that the first verse was the child singing, asking their parent to teach them in the ways of Christ.  The second verse is the parent's response.  The third verse is both of them singing together.  I shared with him that once I got to sing this song with my mommy, and how special that was to me.  I would not know what a loving, Christ-centered home was if it weren't for my angel parents.  Billy really enjoyed that song and asked if we would sing it in church.  I'm sure we can arrange something.  I'll have to get over this cold first though.
 
Our new investigator Kendall is progressing.  He attended every session of conference, including the priesthood session!  I was so proud.  In one of our lessons with him last week, we were talking about the Restoration. We felt prompted to invite him to be baptized. He responded, "Well, I haven't prayed about it. Give me a minute". He said a silent prayer to himself, looked up at us and said "I don't see a problem with it!". Sweet! At that point, I knew we needed to set a specific date with him. April 20th immediately popped into my head. So I said that we would be holding a baptismal service on April 20th, and would he prepare himself to be baptized on that date. He said "I was hoping you'd say anything but April 20th!!" Apparently April 20th is national marajuana day and he always smokes a joint at 4:20 on 4/20. Well not this year! He's getting baptized instead!
 
I am amazed by the truth that Heavenly Father is in the details of our lives.  We had a cool experience last week because of a long chain of seemingly horrible events!  It all started with someone running into the back of our corolla when Lakeland had it.  So when we got the car, we immediately lost it because we had to take it into the shop to get fixed.  So there we were last p-day, with no car.  Again.  (By the way Cameron, when I read your letter about how you lost your car and are now on full bike, I felt very humbled.  I may or may not have cried because I am so proud of you and the spiritual knowledge you are gaining:).  It was actually almost embarrassing how much I cried.  Cause you are doing a great work).  We just so happened to have the package Mom sent me for easter, and since we didn't have a car, I had to carry it with me.  Well, correction.  Sis Martell put it in her bag.  So I didn't even have to.  We went shopping at Kroger, and then found ourselves waiting outside the store with our grocery cart, hoping Sister Reiersen didn't forget to come pick us up.  Sometimes she forgets.  I decided to open the package from my mom.  As expected, there was an abundance of candy.  I pulled out the treats for my companions.  As I did, this worker from Kroger was passing by.  He said, "oh yall got candy over there?!"  I said, "Yeah, do you want some??"  He accepted.  We started talking a little bit and then he said, " hey are yall mormons?"  "Yeah, how'd you know?"  He said that missionaries used to come visit him and his family in the past, but then they moved and lost touch.  I asked if he wanted missionaries to come visit him again.  He said yes!  I was so happy that we were right there in front of Kroger, with no car, and my mom's candy!  Good job mom-bringin people to Jesus one Cadbury egg at a time.  Next time could you send granola bars?  I get fed waay too much sugar. :)
 
I hope you all have a wonderful week.  I love you, pray for you, and think of you more than you know.
 
love sister wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment