Wednesday, May 30, 2012

End of May

Dear Family,

So the email at the family history center in the church wasn't working yesterday, and since it was a holiday, the public library was closed.  We had no way to email because we can't use the members' computers.  So that's why I'm doing it a little late. Don't worry, I'm not being rebellious.  Sometimes I wish I could be rebellious, but I don't really have it in me.  I'd feel too guilty.  I am my mother's daughter, I think...

Have I told you about our 89 year old investigator Brother Bledsoe?  I think I have.  Well, his wife has been a member for a long time and he has never accepted missionaries.  They just celebrated their 70th anniversary, and at no point in those 70 years has he ever listened to the missionaries.  We feel privileged to spend time with him and teach him the gospel.  Every Thursday they come to Hot Springs to the YMCA to do their exercise.  After that, they pick us up and take us to lunch, and then we teach him at the park.  It's pretty sweet, hanging out with people in their 90's.  Impressive how healthy they are.  Well, last week when we were teaching him, we started talking about baptism again.  He had previously said he wanted to wait til after he turned 90.  He turns 90 on July 1st.  As we talked about baptism, he said, "Well, aren't there certain lessons you need to get through before being baptized?"  We looked at him and said, "You've had them.  You're ready".  He began to get emotional.  It was very touching.  I'm not sure if that scared him or made him happy or what, but I think he's at the point in his life where he realizes how important his wife is to him, and that he wants to be sealed to her.  As they dropped us off, Sister Bledsoe hugged us both and said that she was so grateful the Lord had sent us to her husband, that she had been waiting for 54 years.  It was a sweet experience. They also told us that they would like to adopt us.  We will be filling out pretend adoption papers very soon.

I had a strange and embarrassing experience this past week that I hope to never repeat in my life.  We were at a member's house for dinner, and they had invited their neighbors to come and eat with us.  Us and the elders were both there.  Do I talk about them ever?  Well, they are Elder Keller and Elder McMurtrey.  Both are from Utah.  So we were all introducing ourselves to this guy named Roberto. The elders introduced themselves, and then it was my turn.  I stuck out my hand and said, "Hi I'm Sister Gladden". As the words came out of my mouth, I was like, what the heck..?  Why did I say that?  I wasn't thinking about telling him that, I wasn't trying to make a joke..it was super weird.  The real Sister Gladden gave me the weirdest look.  It was just really funny cause everyone was surprised, especially me.  Then I had to say to Roberto, "I have no idea why I said that, that was a complete lie."  And then I felt like an idiot.  But everyone got a good laugh.  We were talking about it later, and decided that since we introduce ourselves many times a day, all I hear is Sister Gladden introducing herself, so it must have just..well I don't know.  I think I might be going crazy.

Oh yeah, and transfers are this week, but I'm not getting transferred. Woo!  Keep writing me at my Maplewood Ct. address.

I hope that you are all healthy and well and that you have a great summer planned.  Please don't go on any cruises without me.  I guess you can go on vacations, but maybe to just Vernal or something..like to that dinosaur museum Dad's always talking about?  I'd be okay with missing that one. :)  Also, congratulations Cameron on graduating seminary and school!  I am so so proud of you.  Know that I love all of you and pray for your success.  Thank you for all your letters, support, prayers, and love. 

I love you!

love sister annalisa wilde




No comments:

Post a Comment