Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New Companion Coming Soon!!


Dear Family,
 
Okay, I'm going to open up a little bit.  I am mildly worried that this is going to be put up all over the internet.  Just kidding.  Well you all know that change has been in the wind for quite a while now.  Last night it started getting really windy.  We had a great week together, Sister B and I.  She is truly a sister to me.  I love her dearly.  I can't really tell you about everything that happened, although I wish I could.  But we had a great week.  Debbie has taken strides this week.  We taught her last Saturday about the priesthood.  I showed her a picture of Christ laying His hands on one of His apostle's heads to give him the priesthood.  I then showed her a picture of Peter, James, and John giving Joseph Smith the priesthood in the same way.  As she compared the pictures, the spirit filled the room.  I exclaimed the first thing that came to my mind: "The priesthood is so cool, I know it's true!"  I told Debbie that the feeling she was experiencing right then was the Holy Ghost and that after she was baptized, she could receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.  She smiled at me and said, "how did you know I was feeling that?"  I told her it was because I felt it too.  The Holy Ghost is real.  He can cleanse our souls and wash out feelings of negativity.
 
During that same lesson Debbie taught me a great lesson.  We were talking about where I am from, and how there is a lot of snow and ice in the winter.  I started carrying on about how I worried about my mother because I didn't want anything bad to happen to her in the bad weather.  Debbie looked at me with that smile again, shaking her head-as though she were astonished that I couldn't see what she could see.  She said, "Why you got to be worried when she's already protected?  You got Heavenly Father."  She was so right.  Here I am teaching her to rely on the Savior and the plan of salvation- and I wasn't even doing that.  She has a lot of faith, Debbie does.
 
Back to last night.  We had to eat 3 meals in a row..that was not pleasant.  But it was really sweet of all the people who fed us.  We got to eat with the Robisons again (the coolest people ever).  I wish you could go inside their home..the spirit there seems to wrap around you and you never want to leave.  Their home is a place of learning and respect.  Sister Robison made Sis B and me cry.  It's not that hard to make me cry anymore, but even Sis B!  Oh I want to tell you this story that a man shared in testimony meeting yesterday.  He is in the military, and just returned from Afghanistan.  He stood to bear his testimony about how he had a blessing that he would return home safely.  He shared the experiences where the Lord protected him. One of his biggest worries was whether his family would be taken care of.  His wife is pregnant and they have 3 kids.  One week, she was too sick to go to the store, so they ate the food they had in the house.  One night, their little girl asked her mom for a cookie.  She told her that they didn't have any, and that she would have to wait for them to be able to make it to the store.  The little girl said, "but I really want a cookie, Mom".  Just then the doorbell rang.  It was the youth- singing christmas carols with a plate of cookies in their hands.  I know you're probably thinking that these stories only come from the Ensign, but really-things like this can happen to us all the time if we will look beyond ourselves, pray to be able to help someone, and reach out in love.  And even if people aren't receptive of that, no effort is wasted.
 
Well I've been worried about a lot of things lately.  Needless to say, I know.  I had an experience today at the temple that I would like to share with you.  This one EFY song kept playing in my head during the session. I didn't know why because I haven't listened to it in a little while. When I finally paid attention to the words, I knew why. "Power in the heavens, power in the plan. Power in discovery, learning who I am. There's power in obedience, the truth that sets us free. We find a sense of confidence. Power in purity". I felt the spirit come over me. I have been feeling extremely not confident for a few days, but this song taught me that I can find confidence in the Savior and His merciful plan of Salvation and atonement. He has sustained me through this day- I know He has.
 
I am in Collierville right now with Sister Tumanuvao (she's Samoan, Dad :)).  She is AWESOME.  I am super excited to spend a few days with her while I wait for my new companion.  With my companion of 6 months going home, I have come to realize even more how short my mission experience really is. I cherish it. I am seeking to learn and to give all that I can to this work. I have seen time and time again how important it is. I have felt the spirit testify to my heart of its truthfulness. I have made friends for eternity.  I know Heavenly Father loves His children.
 
Love Sister Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment